This Style Guide is an official guide on how all of the 1001 Movies articles should appear. In order to not restrict editors to a specific style, this guide is intended to make the wiki consistent, clear, and precise and to help editors with language, layout, and formatting.
Be aware that any content posted here will likely be edited at some point by other users. Everyone is working together to make the 1001 Movies wiki better. Please do not take offense.
- Layout Guide for the layouts used on articles.
- Category Guide for proper categorization of articles.
- Image Policy for uploading images.
- Template Guide for templates available for use.
- Correct spelling and grammar is to be used on the articles.
- American English is used on this wikia.
- Commas and periods go inside quotation marks.
- Dates are written in American format: Month DD, YYYY.
- The serial comma is used.
- Numbers under ten should be spelled out.
- Avoid making multiple edits on an article at a time. Editing errors are understandable. Making edits to boost achievement points is not okay.
- Use the "Preview" button before making the edit to ensure everything is the way it should be.
Perspective and Tense
All articles are written in third person. Articles should be informative, unbiased, and factual rather than speculative. Articles should not include personal opinion.
- Use present tenses.
- Titles of pages should be in bold (i.e. 1st Edition).
- The movie name should be written in italics (i.e. Apocalypto).
- Title Case is used on page names and second-level subheadings (Early Life, Throughout the Series, etc...).
- Avoid linking to the current page.
- Captions on pictures are excluded.
- Quotes sections on Character articles are excluded.
- To prevent over-linking, link something only once per section of the article. A single thing may be linked 1 to 4 times per page.
- Please try to properly cite references and always include a link to the original source.
- If you do not have a reference or one is missing, please put "[Citation needed]."
- References must be from a valid source.